Friday, September 03, 2004

Thoughts on 1 Corinthians 1

Why am I in college? Ask any one of my older siblings and they'd tell you because it was the thing to do. It was a natural part of our household. We were going to college and that was that. So my brother and two sisters just accepted their fate, found some program they could live with and got through it.

Having to teach myself pretty much from 6th grade through highschool gave me a desire to go to college where the professors would know what they were teaching and even like it. I love to learn anything. Put any subject in front of me and I'll become engrossed. Math, Music, Physics, Astronomy, Art, Multimedia, Psychology, English. I'll even get into sports as long as I'm not the one playing.

All the learning and knowledge that I could ever have, though, wouldn't be worth anything without the grace of God.

Some say that all underdeveloped countries need to be brought up to par with the developed ones and that will solve all their problems. But this is where Christ's ministry is spreading the fastest; the rugged hills of Kenya where a stick hut with a thatched roof for a church is an extreme luxury. And where does one of the most recent missionary fields happen to be? Right here in the U.S.

"But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong." 1Corinthians 1:27

Look at us. We're so worried about our freedom and identity and everything materialistic that we fail to notice what direction our lives are taking.

What is the world without God? What is progress and advancement, and getting a good education without a saving faith in Christ? It will all just pass away in a blink and what are you left with?

No matter how advanced and "wise" the world gets it will always be foolishness without Christ Jesus. I am saved not because of my education, wisdom, income, or country I live in, but because He loved me and chose to die for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home