Sunday, September 05, 2004

1Corinthians 2-speaking foolishness

One does not need wisdom to proclaim Christ’s love. Any message is best conveyed using simple, understandable language. It is the Spirit of God in those words that give them power. Power to save. Man’s wisdom is foolishness in light of God’s power. Because of this all we can do is speak the words that He gives us and trust Him to work in the hearer’s heart.

I am not an eloquent person. In fact I very often say the very thing that I was trying to avoid saying in the first place. I partly came to college because I wanted to learn what to say to someone when asked about my faith. I wanted to know the right things to say so that I wouldn’t start spouting contradictions and screwing it all up because not everything was perfectly straight in my head.

But verse 13 in 1Corinthians 2 says, “This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit....” We speak of God’s love and His Son’s sacrifice for us. This is a comfort to me that no matter how badly I screw up telling someone about Christ, His Spirit will always have the overruling power to work miracles in the heart of the person I am speaking to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home