Tuesday, September 07, 2004

1Corinthians 3

To be perfectly honest, this third chapter in Corinthians has always confused me and I don’t quite get it. However, this is a blog and a place where I can voice my thoughts, befuddled though they may be.

I was awed by plant cells when I first started to learn about them. How could a tiny, seemingly dead thing like a seed turn into a beautiful daisy or a towering redwood or a turnip? I have always been fascinated with nature and so when I read this chapter in 1Corinthians, I was struck by the planting and watering analogy. Especially where it says in verse 6, “…but God made it grow.” People speak the Word of God and nurture it, but in the end it wouldn’t go anywhere without God. He is the one who works miracles and makes it grow.

Working in my mom’s garden we planted each seed; sometimes in big bunches, sometimes carefully one by one. Then we would mulch and water where we had planted them and then all we could do was wait. Just as in the great kiddie story “Frog and Toad.” When one of them plants a garden and then attempts to sing and read and do everything to the seeds in order to get them to grow nothing happens. Then, when he has given up and fallen asleep in exhaustion he wakes up later to find tiny plants all over the ground.

As followers of Christ we are called to speak His Word to those around us who don't know him. And just as God causes a seed to grow into one of His creations His miracle can work in the heart of an unbeliever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home