Sunday, September 19, 2004

Snow drifts and boats

Does anyone else think that it is wrong to be sick when it is 92 degrees outside? It just doesn't work. I am having lots of flashbacks to winter days where colds belong. Thinking this brought my stream of consciousness to the question: Does everything seem more extreme or exagerated when one is little? The winters always seemed colder with more snow and the summer storms more violent when I was little compared to the weak weather we get now.

The storms would always wake my sister and I up with their thunder and lightning. I remember looking out the window of my 2nd story bedroom into our backyard. After a storm it would be filled with puddles and almost be an entire lake (not to mention tree branches everywhere). We had some plastic boats that my siblings and I would always take out & play with until the water dried up. Whenever my mom would call out to the rest of the family that there was a tornado warning we would all run outside and look up. There isn't anything strange in that is there? My mom would do what everyone should do and go to the basement or whatever, but my dad would stand just outside our front door watching the clouds.

And every winter we could get foot after foot of snow. Now those where what white Christmases are all about. My dad would have to shovel out our door because the snow drifts would be so high. (Since I just talked to a Texan who didn't know what a drift was, it is when thousands of ity bity cold things called snowflakes are blown about by the wind and all decide to pile up in front of your door or around the wheels of your tires so that you can't get out in the morning; thus preventing you from getting to school on time :)

My house is on a slight hill and it always would become a sheet of ice sometime after January when it had had time to thaw and then freeze solid. It was great for our runner sleds. You can get up a pretty good speed on those things. Have to watch the steering, though. One time I was riding a sled and its steering was out of wack so I had to roll off before crashing into a parked car. *Ah the good old days.

That's another thing about remembering weather patterns...I'm getting old!! Nostalgia is just another sign of age. I remember looking up at college kids and being in awe of how big they were and thinking that it would be years and years before I ever got to be that old. Well, now I'm there. And all of my friends are getting married (not to mention my siblings) and it's scary!! Alas, it also happens to be life. What can ya do?

Thank you for tuning in to "Scary Thoughts by Kat"

1 Comments:

Blogger ash said...

thanks for clearing up what snowdrifts are! that is probably something this texan should know...

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home